Monday, August 7, 2017

Ecology of My Soul

I have spent the last week in a arid desert climate. I met a young doctor of acupuncture on my flight Anchorage in June. I asked her what she would recommend for a woman going through men
to help in menopause. She said that in this transitional period of a woman's life she is drying up. Dry skin, hair and vagina, Ha, ha I know... not what I expected to hear (although I can't deny the manifestations of the physical being). She recommended avocados, water, flax seeds, chia, and soy. All of these find their way into my vegan lifestyle but it made me giggle to think that this doctor implied that menopause implied a drying up of my physical form.
When I found myself in the desert, in an environment that caused me to dehydrate with every breath, it made me more sympathetic to the arid environment that I had always avoided and squinted at when I was required to face it. Animals that are adapted to the dry environment are nocturnal to avoid the suns rays, too intense to be active during the day. As I am challenged by my menopausal consequences ( I hate to call them symptoms, because that implies a pathogenic origin and it is not a pathogen), I find a kinship with the desert creatures. The night used to offer sleep and regeneration of life giving energy, now I battle to sleep after the sun goes down, Restless legs, hot flashes and my brain refuses to turn off and allow the subconscious to take over, leading to mornings that I wake with the sunlight feeling unquenched but restless.
I saw some scorpions on the road close to the finish line yesterday at the Extraterrestrial Full Moon Midnight Marathon in Rachel, Nevada. Normally they would have creeped me out, but they managed to adapt to an arid environment and my crunchy dry menopausal soul respected their ability to crawl around in the desert with their little poison points at the end of their curved tails and find a way to survive. Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Wisdom of the Day: Eat Avocados!

No comments:

Post a Comment